The Shard

The Shard, London Bridge. This new addition to London’s skyline is also the new tallest building in Europe, and can be seen from all over the city. The building contains offices, a 5-star Shangri-La Hotel, restaurants, apartments and a viewing platform on the 72nd floor. The Shard opened on the 5th July with a laser and light show.

Time Out London Shortlist 2012

Advertisements

About Ben Rowe

I take photos of life, for work and for pleasure...mainly in London but sometimes further afield.
This entry was posted in Architecture, Sights and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to The Shard

1. For sure an impressive shape…and size!
    robert

2. Cheers for sharing the evolving skyline of London town. How many hours over the years did I spend on the L-Bridge platform (pic # 8) waiting for my connection to the southeast? Nostalgia! I live in the States now and images like yours keep me up to date on the changes taking place back home 🙂 Ta.

• stonning says:

Hey, I used to live in the UK in London for twelve years of my life…I recently moved to the US and have written a blog on moving on my website check it out I want people to take out the time to read my blogs as this is just what I’ve wanted to do all my life. I’ve dreamed on and on about people viewing and liking my website so kindly take the time out to read my blog! Toodles

3. More at home in Dubai than London

• stonning says:

Totally, I used to live in London I moved to the USA recently and have my on blog check it out I’ve posted what I feel about America so y’all should check it out

4. Nice photos, the first image looks so ‘un-London like’

5. Rogue Honeybadger says:

Nice shots! Keep up the good work!

6. A bit of an eyesore… but that’s what they said about the Eiffel Tower! Soon, we won;t be able to envision London skyline without it!

7. andy says:

Thank you for sharing ,i like nice post

8. Such a stunning building — definitely something different to punctuate London’s skyline!

9. James LaForest says:

It’s not the Shard! More like Sauron’s Tower. By the rich, for the rich. Nothing new under the sun.

10. jmsabbagh says:

incredible pictures.Thank you for sharing. Jalal Michael

11. Gary says:

It is sad to see London’s skyline being ruined some more. I lived in London in the 1950s and loved the human scale of its architecture until that hulking Shell Oil office tower was built.

12. cartoonmick says:

The shape is different concept, and kinda makes you think Doctor Who will push the button, and the whole building will take off into orbit.

Nice pics by the way.

13. Awesome photos! It looks like an impressive building!

14. susielindau says:

Beautiful photos! I hadn’t heard of this new addition to the skyline.
    Congrats on being Freshly Pressed!

15. This big ugly thing was already annoyingly in the way of things when it was still in the construction stage. It destroyed the whole neighbourhood where I lived in London: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/london-bermondsey-westminster/
    I hope it will become a target for terrorists.

16. Alyssa says:

Lovely photos, how did you manage to get this amazing shots? Congrats on making this post to freshly pressed, by the way. 😀

————–
    colorado springs divorce attorneys

17. Trinity says:

Reblogged this on The Trinity Academy of Languages and commented:
    You gotta see this!!

18. I’m currently studying abroad in London. I’m rather impressed by the ample amount of perfect photo opportunities. Your photos are really nice, do you ask permission to take photos of people or do you just snap and go?

19. Jenny says:

Amazing photos! The shard will forever remind me of our move to London. Mainly because we’ve been watching it grow closer and closer to completion since 2010 but also because from our little nook of London it pops into view whenever we take a random turn (we’re in Rotherhithe, SE16).

Thanks for sharing these pics 🙂

20. Thom Topham says:

Brilliant pictures. How about taking pics of the new Thames-crossing cable car? I want to do so myself. Please check out my multimedia autoBLOGography. Thom

21. Deema says:

You’re really good at photography and so I thought of you having a look over my blog.. Hope you like it…

22. Nancy Turner says:

These are great photos! I rarely go to London (being only 15), but the few times I have been, I’ve been astounded by the construction progress – an incredible building! I’ve just started a blog on which I’d like to have people share their stories, providing an interesting read and a way for people to get their experiences noticed. I’ve been thoroughly entertained reading your blog and would love for you to contribute something! It can be something you’ve already written, ro you can write something new. Anything you think worth sharing! My blog address is: http://pragmaticallyeccentric.wordpress.com. Conditions and all are on there. I hope to hear from you soon! 🙂

23. Nice pics! I had the opportunity to go to the UK (London, York, Edinburgh) once for 8 days and LOVED it! I hope to go back one day.

24. teodesson says:

Ah London… The Queen, Sherlock Holmes, Olympics, and now one more =)

25. alanlee205175322 says:

We visited the Shard as we got preview tickets. I thought i’d make a video so I could remember it. I don’t think I’ll go up again for £25 a head. Hope your reader like my video also http://youtu.be/VOcpAbN26_s